click to earn

Philadelphia 76ers All-Star Joel Embiid reveals that he received a diagnosis of Bell's palsy just prior to the commencement of the playoffs.

Philadelphia 76ers All-Star Joel Embiid reveals that he received a diagnosis of Bell's palsy just prior to the commencement of the playoffs.

Embiid expressed experiencing a range of symptoms including blurred vision and dry eyes.



The Associated Press reports that Joel Embiid, the All-Star center for the Philadelphia 76ers, has been diagnosed with Bell’s palsy, a type of facial paralysis. Embiid revealed that he has been dealing with symptoms of the condition since before the play-in tournament.

Sporting sunglasses at the post-game podium following his impressive 50-point performance in the Sixers’ victory against the New York Knicks in Game 3, Embiid disclosed experiencing various symptoms such as blurred vision and dry eyes.

According to Embiid, he first noticed the onset of the condition just "a day or two" before the Sixers' match against the Miami Heat on April 17 during the play-in tournament. Despite feeling unwell, he managed to contribute significantly to the team's victory with 23 points and 15 rebounds, securing their spot in the playoffs.

Initially attributing his discomfort to migraines, Embiid downplayed the severity of his symptoms before eventually seeking medical attention after realizing he was not feeling well.

"I was really struggling physically," Embiid expressed. "My body just wasn't cooperating, especially my left side—my face, mouth, and eye. It's been a real challenge, no doubt. But giving up isn't in my DNA. I'll persevere through anything. It's frustrating, no denying that. But I refuse to let it be an excuse. I've got to keep pushing forward."

In Game 3, last season's NBA MVP, Embiid, showcased his dominance, shooting 13 of 19 from the field, sinking 19 of 21 free throws, and knocking down five 3-pointers.

The Knicks hold a 2-1 series lead, with Game 4 scheduled for Sunday in Philadelphia.

Throughout the series, Embiid has been seen wearing sunglasses and during a postgame interview after Game 2, he kept his head down in front of his locker to conceal his symptoms.

Embiid mentioned that there's no clear timeline for his recovery from Bell’s palsy, stating, “It hasn’t really improved much. Based on the discussions I've had, it could take weeks or even months. I just hope it remains stable. I value my appearance, and it's uncomfortable when my facial expressions are affected. It's an unfortunate situation, but I believe everything occurs for a reason.”

No comments

Powered by Blogger.